Monday, August 9, 2010

A healthy muffin that does not taste disgusting.*


Trying to use up some blueberries and one banana, I experimented in the kitchen and came up with a recipe for blueberry banana muffins.

Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup of sugar**
1/2 tsp. of salt

1 cup of oatmeal flakes
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
1/2 cup of wheat germ***
2 Tbs. of flax seed

3 Tbs. margarine/butter melted
1 mashed banana
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup of skim milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup or so of fresh blueberries



I put all the dry ingredients on the first grouping together and mixed. Then I stirred in the more "chunky" dry ingredients and the wet ingredients one by one. The blueberries go in last and I stirred those as gently as possible to avoid breaking them. I used an ice cream scooper to get the batter into exactly 24 mini muffin molds. Bake 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees F.

*I consumed 6 mini muffins as my "lunch" after they came out of the oven because  I could not stop eating them.
 **I used white sugar, but next time will experiment with raw/turbinado sugar. Or maybe maple syrup? Heidi Swanson at 101Cookbooks.com talks about natural sweetners. I also learned about using buckwheat flour from her cookbook, Super Natural Cooking, which I love because it is teaching me about choosing healthier ingredients.
***Leaving out a couple of the things like flax seed and sunflower seeds won't have a huge impact on the overall recipe, just the health factor. Perhaps almonds could substitute in nicely?

3 comments:

  1. Let me know how it goes. They are heavy on the blueberries (which I like) but if you don't, maybe you want to reduce the amount a little?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six mini muffins for "lunch" - so something I would do. Ha

    ReplyDelete