Sunday, March 9, 2014

Woken by rain.

I'm not sure I ever wrote about this before, but in the winter of 2011 our bathroom had two leaks coming from the ceiling. There was one leak coming through the vent thing over the tub (which convieniently dripped into the tub) and one through the light fixture beside the tub (which required a bucket). I quickly realized that the leak only came when I heard the upstairs neighbors using the toilet and then flushing. But the leak started dripping before the flush.
 
***

          Lights up.

The audience hears the sound of the upstairs neighbor peeing.

Drips begin coming through ceiling at a rate of more than one per second.

Toilet flushes.

Drips continue for a while, then slow to a stop.

          Blackout.

***

So....yeah. Gross.

Well. This morning the sound of running water woke me up.


It sounded loud and close. I was about to go back to sleep because I thought it was raining outside. (Of course, I didn't happen to think that it was probably below freezing outside and could not be raining.) Then in my grogginess, I realized it sounded like the rain was coming from my bathroom. Booboo and I went to go check on it.

And it was. It was raining in my bathroom, with leaks coming from the same exact two places. Only this time they are coming through my newly painted ceiling. There has been no damage yet, but if it's like last time there will be, and they will have to cut through the ceiling to get to the pipes, etc.

So. I think I am going to make myself a really good cup of coffee to recover from being woken up by pee-rain in my bathroom.

5 comments:

  1. ewww! Many years ago I had the same experience, except it was pee/poo rain from the bathroom upstairs. The very elderly couple that lived up there did not notice that their toilet overflowed big time.

    It was beyond gross - the bathroom in my apartment had to be mostly re-done after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Poo rain would be even worse!!! Though I guess if I have pee rain...maybe there is more there?

      The building engineer came and did some tests this afternoon... Flushing upstairs did not cause the leak to happen, but he found a spot in the tub where it could be leaking, so he thinks it is maybe that this time around.

      Last time it was actually the toilet though, but they replaced the toilet after those problems, so he thinks it is probably not the toilet now.

      Though the dripping did coincide with pee noises from upstairs, so I am not convinced it is not to the toilet. Unless he peed in the shower....and it is leaking from the tub????! Hmm.

      Delete
  2. oh, gross! Yuck. I hope they resolve this soon for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't "rained" today....thankfully. :) Though its inconsistency makes it kinda hard to figure out what's causing it...

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! That's terrible! I can't believe you had to go through that. I would've freaked out if I woke up and found the same issue happening in my own bathroom. I'm glad that the leak has been fixed now, as I read in your other post. I hope it doesn't happen again. It's really bothersome. All the best to you! :)

    Lovella Cushman @ Perfection Plumbing

    ReplyDelete